This is an exceptionally stupid problem and I wish Hulu would fix it already 😡. Luckily there is a proven work around 😀! Woooo 🙌! I will watch/listen to older TV shows I never had a chance to watch before while I do mundane busy work in my office on my desktop. TV shows where the pattern is predictable and I don’t have to actually pay attention to follow the plot (sometimes lack thereof).
So I cannot actually tell you how this problem happens because it’s inconsistent and it happens intermittently. I have seen it happen not at all for multiple seasons of a single TV show at a time or sporadically. You would think that restarting the video or refreshing the browser would do something to fix it, but it has a very low success rate. Basically never works. This is an example of the error you get after you see the episode pre-roll footage warning you that this is mature content.
If you are wondering what I was watching, it’s “The Shield” by FX. I don’t know why, but for this series in particular it seems to happen more often than I have experienced in the past with other series.
This is not a great solution, but it works! When the error presents itself do the following:
- Click the OK button on the error on your desktop. Talking about the green button depicted in the screenshot above.
- Open your Hulu App on your phone.
- If you are not logged in, you have to login.
- Play the same video giving you the problem.
- It will play, I don’t know why, but it will.
- Let the pre-roll pass. Example, “This video is rated Mature blah blah blah”. Runs for like 5-8 seconds.
- Once the episode starts to play, move the episode like 10 seconds forward for safe measure.
- Back out of the video on your phone.
- Refresh the browser.
- Play the same video that was giving you trouble.
- The expected result is it will play where you left off from on your phone. Hence why move it 10 seconds forward.
I think this has something to do with that pre-roll, I don’t know why.
I partially got these tips from a Hulu support rep, so thanks to them for that.